Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kristen Taking Action

  • I took action by signing a petition on http://signon.org/sign/tell-the-fda-that-we?source=jli_em ... this is a website where they are trying to get the FDA's attention so that we know what is in our food. They are working to get all genetically engineered foods labelled. It made me feel good to take part in something that 235, 242 people have already signed and is growing by the second. It is something that I actually care about and it feels good to actually do something about it rather than sit back and complain about it. If everyone took action for things they believe in a lot more would get accomplished. This is the first time I have done something like this and I would definitely do it again.
  • This connects to democratic values because by signing this petition I am actively taking part in the democratic society that I live in. Part of the great thing about living in the United States is being able to voice my opinion and stand for things I believe in. Voting is such a great aspect in a democratic society and a petition seems similiar to me. Writing my name on a petition or checking a box on a ballot seems like such a simple thing but there is so much choice and freedom in that moment, which many of us take for granted.
  • In regards to teaching issues about social justice, I will teach this as early as I can, as a teacher. Obviously, I will need to pick topics that are appropriate for the age group. I would not be talking about gay marriage rights in a first or second grade. I would address aspects such as poverty, different types of families (adoption) and many other aspects that would relate to children of that age. There is no reason to ignore some aspects that children that age are probably already exposed to. Some students in the class may be homeless, poor or adopted. It does no good to ignore that. Why not address it and educate everyone on it? I think that many times adults do ignore issues like that and it leads to children not being educated on certain topics. Not being educated may lead to those students developing prejudices about a ceratin topic because they do not fully understand it. Children know much more than we give them credit for. Teaching these issues in social justice will only help those students learn and hopefully create acceptance and equality. For the good of the public, I think as teachers, it is our duty to educate our students on topics that are so important like these ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment