Thursday, March 1, 2012

Kristen's Reflection

I have learned so much during this blog that I never thought I would. I honestly expected to just post every once in a while on this topic and not think much of it. Now, I notice myself paying special attention to clips on the news, or articles that pop up on my homepage about related topics to organic food. I was even watching the news this morning and there was a preview about labeling changes on meat products in supermarkets. I normally would have heard it and not thought much of it, but I sat through the commerical and waited to hear what was happening because this blog has made me more aware. By the way, the change was that meat is now labeled with nutritional facts, such as calories, sodium, fats etc. It is just the basic chart that is included on all other foods we eat... interesting that it was not included on meat before this. I never knew that.

My stand on the issue is that all foods need to be labeled with what exactly is included in them. They should be labeled with the process that went into creating them as well. We deserve to know what we are putting into our bodies and feeding our children. I think it is odd that companies are so against labeling their products, even though they say there is nothing wrong with their production stategies. If nothing is wrong with it why not just label the products?

I think this could tie into elementary curriculum beautifully. Organic food could be introduced when doing a unit on health in general, how to eat healthy, how to exercise etc. I remember seeing a presentation in elementary school on how to eat healthy and I ended up getting very into it. I even remember making my mom by Total cereal because we learned how it was a healthy breakfast. I think some students would definitely respond to learning about this.
I could see a specific unit where students are asked to go home and explore the foods in their own homes. They could see what types of foods they have at home, whether they are labeled correctly, how much their family spends per week on food etc. They could also keep a food and exercise log and eventually try to improve their diet in any way they think they should. There would be lessons and research involved in educating students about the difference between organic food and GMO's, as well as what labeling these foods means. After learning about this students could have a debate about their stand on the issue. Finally, students could do a service learning project at a local farm that produces organic food if they agree with promoting organic food. This photo shows young studends from an inner city school who took a field trip to a farm and helped out for the day. I think this is a great idea for students no matter where they live.


For my service learning project I am working toward doing service at Tendercrop Farm in Newbury. They are a farm dedicated to providing organic, fresh produce, meat and poultry and baked goods.
Here is the link to Tendercrop Farm... check it out for information on the farm including what products are currently in season! http://www.tendercropfarms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment